Monday, October 31, 2011

(Halloween) Fashion: DIY Snow White Costume

Snow White and her woodland creatures

I was Snow White for Halloween when I was three, and it has remained my favorite costume of all time.  Every year, I think about making an adult version.  The only thing that has stopped me was my inability to find a long yellow skirt, so this year I finally broke down and decided to sew one myself.  

If I ever tell you I'm going to sew anything more complicated than a pillow or a drawstring skirt, do your best to stop me.  This skirt has a zipper and a waistband, and while it was marked "fast and easy," was anything but.  At least if you haven't sewn anything in 8 years.  It looks okay, but the belt is happily hiding a lot of the flaws.  I was pretty proud of the shoes however.  While it doesn't take a crafting genius to spray paint some old pumps, they turned out as delightfully cartoonish as I had hoped. 





I do think a good costume is all in the details.  The bluebird on my shoulder is the best part of this costume, I think.  In the future, I'd like to attach a lightweight bird to a ring so that it looks like it's perched on my hand.


My best friend Susie and her boyfriend Johnny went as Rocko and Heffer from Rocko's Modern Life.  Johnny made the costumes, and I think they turned out pretty amazing.  Check out her amazing wallaby tail!



Tomorrow I'll show you Drew's costume and tell you how (sortof) easy it was to make!  I promise, it's worth the wait!


Happy Halloween!  Leave me a message and let me know what you dressed as this year!




Snow White Outfit Details: INC top (Macy's), homemade skirt and cape (Thanks for the cape Mom!), Target shoes (spray-pained with Krylon Indoor-Outdoor), Kohl's belt

3 comments:

TaraMixandMatch said...

Aw, this came out cute! Love it!

Katie said...

Haha I love that you just had that shirt! It's perfect!

Kelly said...

I didn't just have the shirt, but I was lucky enough to find the perfect thing on clearance!